When we spend our lives waiting until we're perfect or bulletproof before we walk into the arena, we ultimately sacrifice relationships and opportunities that may not be recoverable, we squander our precious time, and we turn our backs on our gifts, those unique contributions that only we can make.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Return to Horsetail Falls

Marcus and I returned to Horsetail falls sometime in mid-September. It was a lot easier to hike this time around. We think it was because it was cooler--and we started hiking before the sun started to hit--and we hope it is because we were getting stronger. I wasn't that specific about the hike in my last post so I am going to give a few more details. At the start of the hike you encounter the wreckage that has occurred from a bunch of rain and having dry conditions. The trail is pretty exposed for about 15 to 30 minutes. All the sudden the landscape changes from scrub oak and desert plants into a pine forest. The trees and the views of the canyon and sounds of the river are beautiful. After a lot of hiking you come to your first landmark.
This lets you know that you are probably about a 1/4 of the way there. 

Marcus was brave enough to climb up the rock. I didn't want to because we actually had taken this pictures on the way back down (because on the way up other people had claimed the spot for rest and photos) and my legs and feet were rather tired especially after getting a bit lost (will tell more on this later).
 This is the next big landmark to let you know that indeed the light at the end of the tunnel is near. This is the meadow area. We actually ended up encountering a bunch of scouts up here with horses.
A breathtaking view of the corner canyon and alpine. Funny enough you can see Marcus's parent's house all the way where we were.
As much as you feel you have come a long ways there is still so much of the mountain we have not conquered. So now to tell the story of us getting lost. Marcus and I have gone past the point of where we got on the last hike. The turn off point to go down below Horsetail falls was not obvious and so we went up above horsetail falls. This wasn't a big deal until we tried to leave and get back to the trail to go down the corner canyon.
Here is a view of the river that goes down Horsetail Falls. 

And we finally came to where the falls is. 

 Now the problem was we were on top of the waterfall. We found a way to come down and see the waterfall from below however this was not where the other trail would have taken us. So we climbed up and down several times looking for a way back to the main trail. I was so exhausted by all the back tracking that I finally broke down and cried. Marcus was wondering what the heck was wrong with me. I finally realized that all the stress I was carrying was completely released because I had no barriers to hold it back with how tired I felt. I can laugh about how emotionally I was now, but at the time I was distraught. Below are more pictures of the water fall.



This is not very much water. Marcus has a picture of him by this waterfall and it looks so different.
One last view of Utah County before we make our descent. 

Overall this was a fun hike and I am glad we made it all the way there. I just hope the next time we do this we don't go on the extra adventure ugh :)

No comments: