On June 12th I went down to Salt Lake to interview for a job at Valley Mental Health specifically for their substance abuse program. I didn't have much hope to get the job, but after talking to my sister Kristine, who worked in substance abuse for a few years, I felt more confident. Of course I still wasn't really thrilled about the job because it is only part time. Marcus and I wouldn't be able to move without someone securing a full time job. Even so I decided to give it a try anyways.
The interview went surprisingly well. I felt pretty calm--for an interview--and I felt a good connection with the interviewers. I left feeling I had a decent chance at getting the job. Interestingly enough they called me within 30 min. of me getting to my parents home and offered me the job. I of course took it!
I will be starting my new job July 1st. My training will be the last week of June. I can barely believe that all of this is happening. I feel a lot of different emotions: excitement, fear, nervousness, and happiness. Of course one thing that wasn't sitting right was the idea that I would be living in two different locations. My parents were kind enough to allow me to live with them while I worked and then I could go home to Logan to be with Marcus when I was done with my work for the week. In all reality this situation isn't too bad, but I hated the idea. Marcus is my anchor. He is a person I always go to with my thoughts and feelings. I was terrified to say the least that my number one emotional support was going to be 70+ miles away and would be working an opposite schedule from me. When I imagined starting my career I always imagined Marcus being there to support me through the stress, anxiety, and doubt that would inevitably come up. Now I was faced with the reality that I would be doing this by myself.
Thankfully I will not have to face the reality of doing this life change without Marcus being with me. Thanks to wonderful family who are willing to help us out Marcus can come with me and continue his job search in Salt Lake while he earns some money helping his dad at his business. We are hoping that very soon Marcus will be able to secure a job and be able to start his career soon. I certainly hope he doesn't have a dry spell like I did. Of course if that is the case my job has the potential of turning into a full time job within 4 to 6 months and maybe even sooner.
So by June 29th we will be leaving Logan. I have very mixed emotions about this. When I look around at the mountain ranges, the stores, the suburbs, and my apartment I feel sad to leave behind a place that has so many great memories. Logan has been good to us. We both received a fine education, we always had enough money to put food on our table, keep shelter over our heads, and pay for little luxuries. I also found a lot of healing here in Logan. I am a very different person from the young woman who came here. I have discovered so much of myself here and discovered how to enjoy life more than I ever have.
Of course Logan hasn't been perfect. There are lots of things I dislike about Logan that cause me to jump in the air clicking my heels knowing I get to leave them behind. For instance I think Logan is a poorly planned city. I mean seriously was the city planner drunk when he/she designed some of parts of town (I know that isn't the case, but I like to joke about it)??? I hate the winter inversions (which by the way I think are far worse than SLC or Utah County). It is a lot colder here in the winter than in SLC. The drivers here could give Utah County drivers a run for their money. People are constantly cutting me off, turning in front of me, and driving under the speed limit. I swear every time I drive anywhere I come back with a great story. Two Walmarts no Target 'nough said. Those are probably my top annoyances, and I know that SLC is not a perfect area either and I will find tons of things to complain about.
So there ya have it. Life all the sudden has drastically changed for us. Marcus has put in his two week notice, we are starting to cancel services, talked to our landlady, and I am beginning to deep clean and pack things away. I am very nervous about starting my new job. I hope that I will be able to find my place at Valley Mental Health and feel like I am a worthwhile contributing employee. Please send us along prayers, good vibes, or thoughts as we embark on a new adventure.
1 comment:
Good luck on this next chapter in your adventure and keep me posted on the new job!
Post a Comment