When we spend our lives waiting until we're perfect or bulletproof before we walk into the arena, we ultimately sacrifice relationships and opportunities that may not be recoverable, we squander our precious time, and we turn our backs on our gifts, those unique contributions that only we can make.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Third Anniversary

Yesterday Marcus and I celebrated our third anniversary. So much has happened to us in these short/long three years. We decided to start our day by going to different parts of Logan to think back to what it was like to start our life together here. I will never forget the week or two before we got married coming here to interview for my first internship, look for potential jobs, and find an apartment. We drove our same route (at least we tried, memory can be a fickle thing) when we came here our very first time.

We stopped at LDS Family Services and a local elementary school. It seems so long ago when I went to those places to interview. I felt so unsure of myself--well I still do in some ways--and I love seeing the growth that has taken place. We then parked our car at Adam's Park (a park we visited often at our old apartment) and walked to our old apartment. We laughed about our neighbors (the Mcbanger's and the Tijuana Prostitute/Have to watch The Office with the subwoofer going full blast), the raccoons  the time we realized a bunch of water collected in the trunk of our car where the spare tire is and we had to drain it, the crap shack, the boat house, and the hill of doom.

We then decided to walk up to campus. We talked about the fears we had, the insecurities, the hopes, and the dreams we had. We visited classrooms we were in and what the first day was like when we attended USU. I couldn't help but think while we did this how much I will miss Logan when we leave. I loved that we did this. Everything felt surreal. It felt like all this happened in another life.

Afterwards we decided to use some gift cards we had to get some lunch and then we checked in to the Anniversary Inn. It was fun to be able to do something like this for our anniversary. Our first two years of marriage we were too poor to do much of anything. I know incredibly well that you don't have to spend money to have a great time, believe me because that is what we have to do a lot of the time. Even so I thoroughly enjoyed doing something out of the ordinary. It was fun to mark this anniversary with something very different because we are entering into a new phase of our own lives' and in our marriage. We are both done with school. We hope that sometime soon we will be able to start our careers and experience all the neat things that come with that phase of life.

For those who may not know what is going on for us we are presently applying to any job that we can and trying to enjoy life as much as possible. There are days we feel down because we have no prospects so far and we feel frustrated that everything we try is not giving us any results; however, this anniversary showed me to not take for granted the time we have been given because I will miss what we have and where we are.

No comments: