(I can't help but think of this song--especially the chorus--with graduation getting closer)
When we spend our lives waiting until we're perfect or bulletproof before we walk into the arena, we ultimately sacrifice relationships and opportunities that may not be recoverable, we squander our precious time, and we turn our backs on our gifts, those unique contributions that only we can make.
Monday, April 23, 2012
My Cohort
For the past two years I have spent a lot of time with these people. We have shared so many funny, emotional, enlightened, and tiring moments together. For the past two or three weeks I have been so focused on my school and internship work I have not had time to understand the emotions I have been experiencing. Today as I left another class for the last time I was struck with a sadness I was not anticipating I would ever feel. I have grown to love and respect every individual in my cohort. As one person in my cohort said, "I can't believe we're nearing the end. I just wanted to tell you all how awesome you guys have been. I can't imagine going through it all with anyone else." He said it perfectly. I feel completely blessed that I was able to go through a difficult obstacle in my life with the people in my program. We all supported each other and rooted for each other. I don't want to make it sound like we were absolutely perfect, but it was a great group. I really will miss going to class and collaborating with everyone around me on how we are going to survive the next brutal project. I guess we will still be able to do that just in a different way. One thing that social work's system theory teaches is that things are always changing. Relationships don't need to end with the changing of a chapter in life. If we want we can let relationships adapt as life continues to change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congratulations Shannon!
Post a Comment