When we spend our lives waiting until we're perfect or bulletproof before we walk into the arena, we ultimately sacrifice relationships and opportunities that may not be recoverable, we squander our precious time, and we turn our backs on our gifts, those unique contributions that only we can make.
Friday, April 15, 2011
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
This semester has been about macro social work. This essentially means doing things in a community. All of my classes are requiring extensive projects, and two of my major projects are about eating disorders. Part of the project is to implement an intervention in the community. We have given a presentation, made fliers, created a comprehensive treatment referral packet, and wrote letters to the editor. Yesterday me and a group member were making our power point slides for our class presentation and we found this video. I remember seeing this on TV a long time ago and I forgot how powerful it is. "No wonder our perception of beauty is distorted."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I LOVE this. Absolutely unbelievable!
I know of a good intervention candidate in my neighborhood (good excuse for a vacation and visit with your adoring nephew). Seriously though. I don't mean to make light of her condition, at all. I am legitimately concerned about her. She is out walking all day EVERY SINGLE DAY for years and years, and is literally just skin and bones. Everybody knows about her, I know where she lives now (a friend of a friend is her neighbor). I heard she is on a treadmill at home if it is ever rainy. I want to do something to help, but how do you help a complete stranger without coming off as a total jerk?
SO TRUE!
“We have, in effect, an Eleventh Commandment. We have come to believe thinner is healthier, happier, and more beautiful as though it were handed down on Mount Sinai. But these are not divine truths—they are prejudices with a complex history. They have led to a false religion that does not deliver what it promises.”
--Roberta Pollack Seid, Never Too Thin: Why Women Are at War with Their Bodies
Post a Comment